Friday, January 1, 2010

Darker Than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini

I bet I'm one of the few people that actually liked the first Darker Than Black and doesn't mind admitting it. It was a nice anime, with a promising story that had some unfortunate flaws that prevented it from reaching 5 star status.
Darker Than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini did not learn from its predecessor's mistakes. That, and only that, is the main reason as to why it wasn't better than the first (Ok, maybe the comedic exageration at some points and the slow pace also contributed). When I first started watching DTB: RnG, I thought it held some promise. I also believed that the time for answers was at hand. That was a misplaced hope though.
I expected a Hollywood-esque plot with cliched twists. I expected a great deal of questions to be raised and eventual deux ex machina to happen around the new female lead. I expected the plot to thicken. Still, there were a shit load of things I wasn't expecting.

Instead of solving the mysteries surrounding the franchise and answering the fan's questions, the plot designed by BONES did nothing except help pile up the questions even more. We eventually ended up getting to know the complete truth behind Suoh, and we even got a bit more insight on past events that troubled the fans! But still. This season answered mostly questions regarding the characters, all while ignoring the bigger picture and the most important doubts.

What was Yin evolving into? How was Amber connected to the Mitaka Documents? How come Madame Oreille had all that fancy sci-fic junk? Why did the Gates appear? What are Contractors? Why did a new Earth have to be created? What happened to Pai after all? Why did Yin and Hei get separated? What happened to the two of them? WHAT IS THE MEANING OF LIFE?!

Ok, I got a bit carried away there. I apologise, you surely get my point. While it was an average experience, the show was too closed around Suoh's own dillemas. In my opinion, DBT: RnG was probably one of my biggest disappointments of 2009.
Well, as people say: Third time's the charm!

----------------------------------------------------

"You're a contractor. Make the logical choice, BK-201."

No comments:

Post a Comment